Our History

The first school in 1870 was a one-room frame building known as the Seashoal School. The school, which had approximately 15 to 20 students, was built by Dr. Seashoal for his daughter Brin to teach the basics of reading, writing, spelling, and arithmetic. The Seashoal School was about ½ miles west of the present location. This was the sixth school to be built in the Grant District.

In 1892, the original building was torn down and another erected on the same site. In 1898, the east end of the school district was established with a dwelling opposite the present site of Culloden Elementary. There were three terms of school there.

Seashoal served the community until 1911, when a two room frame school building was built on the R. J. Dial property. This building was also used by the Culloden Missionary Baptist Church. Later, the church built on the adjoining property and continues to use both parcels of the land today.

In 1933, Culloden School was built on its current site; a modern, one story, four room brick building. The principal’s office was located over the front entrance. The kitchen and cafeteria were in the basement, accessible only from the outside. Restrooms were located to the east of the school near the creek; two fourteen-hole privies, one for girls and one for boys. Marion C. Fizer was a teaching principal, teaching seventh and eighth graders. In addition, Gladys Nicholas taught fifth and sixth graders; Hestel Garrett White taught grades third and fourth; and Pauline Grass taught first and second grade. The cook and custodian were Hester and Charles Janey. The school had an enrollment of 125 students.

In 1938-39, two more classrooms, a library, and indoor restrooms were added. In1952, a food storage room/kitchen, and what they called a playroom (gym) were built. In 1955, two more classrooms were proposed, but only one constructed. In 1966, the second room was again proposed, but never constructed. The school has grown with many changes and improvements: two annex rooms were added in 1967; three open classrooms were enclosed and two more classrooms and four teacher storages were added. In 1984-85, colorful murals were painted in the main hallway and in 1987, a new multi-purpose facility (gym/cafeteria, kitchen/food storage, PE office, restrooms and table storage) was built. The old kitchen was remodeled into one of the most modern school offices in the county. The old gym, which was referred to as the playroom, was remodeled into two classrooms, which currently houses the custodial office and furnace room.

An additional set of classrooms was added to the north section of the school in 2000.

In 2010, the Cabell County Board of Education replaced the original windows from 1933, allowing for more energy-efficient classrooms.

In 2013, Culloden Elementary was named a West Virginia School of Excellence by the West Virginia Board of Education. The same year, the School Building Authority awarded the school (in conjunction with Cabell County Schools) $7.5 million to renovate the original front classrooms, along with the addition of a new office complex, media center, and auxiliary gymnasium. Construction began in the Spring of 2014 and ended in the Winter of 2016.

The front of the school was removed to make way for an updated and more modern facility, the original CULLODEN SCHOOL concrete sign and some of the medallions at the front entrance were saved and embedded within the new structure, allowing for past and present to come together.

There have been many principals, hundreds of staff personnel, and thousands of students who have walked its hallways. Many have remained in Culloden- therefore; generations of families have attended school in the same building; while others have made their homes elsewhere. For many of those who made Culloden their home and attended the school, Culloden Elementary is more than just a building, but a place they drive by and see daily, reflecting back on fond school memories of days gone by. 

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.